Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday Morning Hill Repeats

I'm not very good about routines and rigid schedules. I find it more interesting to "mix it up a little" or "play it by ear." I don't do my grocery shopping or clean my house on the same day each week, I don't have certain meals on certain days of the week, and I don't have a particular time of day I do my runs or my strength training. In fact, the only thing that has been regular about my training schedule is that I do my long runs on Tuesdays. Then last week I decided Thursdays would be hill repeats. And I started doing my P90X strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Also, I seem to cross train on the mountain bike almost every Saturday and Sunday. If I didn't know myself better, I'd say I was starting to get into some sort of predictable training routine. Oh well, as long as it doesn't get boring, I guess it's OK.

Today's plan was for four 0.6 mile hill repeats at an average pace that was faster than last week's. Last week I averaged exactly 10 minute miles on the ups (Hey, give me a break. It's a steep hill!) and my heart rate averaged 172 on three climbs. Today I did four climbs at an average of 9:40 pace with an average heart rate of 168 on the climbs. Funny how this thing called training works, I'm already making progress! Next week will be five hill repeats and I'll try for a faster average pace. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment