Sunday, August 26, 2012

Getting Technical

I think I have been getting spoiled by the smooth, flowing trails of Northeast Vermont. Yesterday we mountain biked at Bradbury State Park in Pownal, Maine. Early on, Kevin looked back to ask how I was doing and I answered, "I have butterflies in my stomach."  Sure, there are some tough trails at the Kingdom Trails, but we know those trails so well it's easy to ride the correct lines to set up for whatever obstacle is coming. And tough sections at the Kingdom Trails are broken up by long stretches of smooth, fast, riding. Bradbury is alternating twisting, rocky, rooty, steep, loose, muddy, log hop, step up, drop down, high narrow bridge, stone wall... you get the picture.

After my initial shaky 5 or 10 minutes, I got into my groove and couldn't stop smiling.  It is exhilarating to get over a big rock that I wasn't sure I could make, Ride to the top of a rooty rocky steep climb without coming off the bike, and find the nerve to finally ride over the high bridge (which has been shortened and lowered a little, I must admit). It's even fun to try  to make it up or over something and come up a little short. 

By the time we got back to the parking area my legs were wobbly. What a fun ride! And what a beautiful day! Today looks like another gorgeous late summer day. we are off for a paddle on Ossipee Lake.

1 comment:

  1. I was at bradbury Saturday too, I did see a bunch of bikers on the east side.

    ReplyDelete