Thursday, September 17, 2009

North Parsonsfield Trails

My last visit yesterday was with a woman in her 80's who had lived in Parsonsfield her whole life. As I was leaving, I asked her about trails or old dirt roads near by that I could run on. These elderly townies are some of the best sources for finding old unmaintained town roads, tote roads, and old carriage trails. Unlike some of my younger clients or co-workers, these older people don't seem to find anything odd about a woman going out to run in the woods alone. I'm not sure why.

This nice lady pointed me in the right direction and I had a great hour and a half run on hilly old tote roads and ATV trails. They led me to the familiar territory of the Leavitt Plantation, where I used to run when I lived in Parsonsfield a few years back. I also stumbled on some of Back Country Excursion's mountain bike trails, which are nice single track. I'm not sure if I should be running on B.C.E.'s trails since they are maintained by a business that is relying on those trails for a living, but I did explore them a bit.

My workout called for 2 minute "surges" and I did those on the dirt "Hasty Road" and on ATV trails. I didn't calculate the pace of the surges. Believe me, I don't want to know. All I know is that I got my heart rate up and worked kind of hard on those efforts.

Today's run was an easy hour on the local snowmobile trails. I was feeling the hills and the surges from yesterday. I think I'm going to need some time off my feet today with a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment