Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oil Creek Aftermath

Sunday,the day after dropping from Oil Creek,Kevin and I went to a pub for a late lunch and "Camo Pants," a guy I had run some early miles with on Saturday and never caught his name, limped into the pub with his family. He said he had just finished. Holy Hell, would I have been out there until this late on Sunday if I had continued?! Camo Pants didn't look like he'd be able to run again for quite a while. That course was brutal! But I'm glad he finished. He had been pretty determined from the get go. For some reason,seeing that Camo Pants had finished didn't make me wish I had continued, it made me feel relieved that I hadn't gone on!

After lunch, Kevin and I went for a 3 or 4 mile walk on bike trails to stretch out my legs. On our way back, Kevin froze in his tracks while gazing through an opening in the trees and said in a dazed sort of voice,"do you see what I see?" As if in a trance, he left the bike path and walked through the opening in the trees and across the field. I followed. Kevin has an eye for anything that can be biked.He had spotted a BMX track with a kid riding loops over the course and was drawn to it like a magnet.

We stopped and leaned up against the fence,watching. Kevin explained how to get over the "rollers" and "skips" and how to work the "Berms"(not sure how you spell that one) and how to ride the "table tops." Yes,I had a bit of a vocabulary lesson as well as a biking lesson as we stood there. After we had watched for a while I said half jokingly,"we'll have to come ride this in the morning." and Kevin answered in a serious voice, "that goes without saying."

So that's how I found myself grinning from ear to ear as I rode my bike over a dirt BMX track in Titusville,PA two days after dropping out of the hundred mile race. Every time my wheels left the ground I let out a little Yip.I'm sure that isn't a cool thing to do while riding BMX, but I couldn't help it. The funny thing about riding a bike around a course full of bumps and curves and banks, is that it is as exhausting as it is fun. It gives a whole body workout, you don't just use your legs. It was extremely fun. After we were done, I couldn't help checking out the score board and noticing there weren't any women competitors my age up on the board. Damn, too bad I don't live in Titusville, PA. If I did,I could ride BMX and win my age group! I could show them that this 47 year old woman is not above having a childishly good time! Of course,I'd have to stop letting out those little Yips if I wanted to be taken seriously.

Back home I have been out for two runs on the local single track.I feel slow, but good! Today I did about 5 miles, taking my time and clearing some blown down branches from the trail as I went. This was followed by a good strength workout focusing on shoulders and arms. I followed that with the P90X "Ab Ripper," fitting name, as I feel as if my abs have been shredded. I plan to work on strength and base fitness for the next month or two. I'll keep my runs easy and on the short side,and remember to have fun with them! I'll also get some good biking in. Before long it will be time to get the skis and snowshoes out!

3 comments:

  1. Laurels Quote: "Kevin froze in his tracks while gazing through an opening in the trees and said in a dazed sort of voice,"do you see what I see?" As if in a trance, he left the bike path and walked through the opening in the trees and across the field."
    Dazed in a trance!! Really!!! Laurel is exagerating a bit on this! As a matter of fact, after i pointed out the track, Laurel grabbed my arm excitedly jumping up and down and said with enthusiasm (like she was going to pee her pants any second) "WE HAVE TO RIDE IT IN THE MORNING!!! YA YA YA, WERE GOING TO RIDE THE BMX TRACK!!!!!" LOL - KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK,OK, OK. I admit it, I was excited about the BMX track when I saw it. But really, it would take a lot more than that to make me pee my pants. I do believe the part about jumping up and down with enthusiasm and shouting out stupid things, I do that pretty much on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete