Friday, October 23, 2009

Run-Bike Routine

I've fallen into a nice routine of alternating a run day with a mountain bike day. This every other day of running is keeping the running fresh and interesting for me. The biking is just plain fun. I'm also doing 2 to 3 strength workouts a week.It's a very nice relaxed system for now.

Yesterday I ran for one hour on the local trails. I went slow and enjoyed the woods. The trees are loosing their leaves and the trails have a whole new look. I can see the river for much of the run, while before most of it was hidden by the trees. The air is cold and crisp with a hint of wood smoke from people's wood stoves and fire places. And my whole run is accompanied by the sound of my feet shuffling through the dry fallen leaves. This is a beautiful time of year here in Maine.

Today I did a few hours of mountain biking with Kevin after work. We had a lot of fun. We rode all the single track a few times, some of the snow mobile trails, and some of the school fields. We goofed around in the school parking lots, hopping up on curbs and jumping back off. (Kevin jumped, I kind of plopped down like a ton of bricks.) People who saw us probably thought we were a couple of over grown kids. I practiced some of the skills I am trying to learn like wheelies, hops, and jumps. This stuff is great fun! I fell onto the ground only once, (because the other time I would have landed on the ground,Kevin caught me). So I'm doing better with these things, or at least doing better with landing on my feet when I do have to come off the bike.

Tomorrow will be another run day and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment