Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting Serious about Training (for one paragraph)

This morning I ran 3 hill repeats up Chapel Rd. Each repeat is .6 miles long and has 250 feet of climb. This is a very nice steady hill on a paved road with virtually no traffic. I ran the ups at a hard effort, getting my heart rate into the 170's each time. I am going to do these hill repeats every Thursday leading to the Mt Pisgah 50K. Each week I am going to return to Chapel Rd and try to increase my speed and add one more repeat. This will bring me to 10 repeats the week before the race.

Well, that paragraph reads like something some sort of running fanatic would have written. Maybe I should insert some graphs and charts and a topo map. Forgive me, I'll try not to ever write something like that again. I hate to get all serious about my running and make it seem that I am training. The problem with training for something is that it leads to expectations for a great performance and at the same time it steals the fun from my daily runs. So let's just say I am working on maximizing my running fitness and forget all about the "T" word. I'll make sure I have some kind of witty anecdote to tell about next week's hill repeats.

On a lighter note, tomorrow morning Kevin and I are headed out for a 3 day backpacking trip in the Caribou-Speckled Mountain Wilderness. It is one of the few areas in the White Mountain Region that neither of us has hiked extensively. We are looking forward to exploring the area together. I'll try to remember to take some photos to post when I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment