Tuesday, June 8, 2010

5 Hour Run Done...

and it wasn't pretty! I chose a route through the woods of Parsonsfield and Porter, ME and Effingham, NH that has similar terrain and similar topography as the Vermont 100. I as able to do 25 miles of hills and mud in the 5 hours, which is OK, but I m disturbed by how terrible I felt during the last hour of running. I felt like I normally would during hour 21 or 22 of a hundred miler!

Well, with all the walk breaks I had to take in that last hour, I had plenty of time to think. Here's what I came up with:

1. I am a positive and happy person, but I have to also be realistic.

2. I can finish the hundred miler, but it is going to be slow and difficult.

3. I must banish the phrases "sub twenty-four, belt buckle, and top ten" from my thoughts and vocabulary from now until after the race.

4. I will aim for a finish within the time cut off and be very happy to achieve that.

5. I am extremely lucky that I will be able to participate in this event at all, only 3 months and 5 days after a C-5 vertebral fracture.


Now I have to go to the race website and find out what the time cut off is. Let's hope it is a generous one!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I swear I was just reading about your accident, speedy recovery, didn't you just get married and now Oh, just a 25 mile run through the woods. You are amazing!

    Great attitude going into your 100. I think you will do awesome!

    ReplyDelete