Saturday, September 4, 2010

Looking Forward to Fall

Since deciding I wasn't going to try to make myself run races when I really don't want to, my running has been going really well! My pace is faster and I feel light and smooth on the trails. I picture it like this... Imagine a Mom trying to drag a kid some place he doesn't want to go, maybe into the dentist's office. He is digging his heels in and pulling back from his mother's guiding hand. That is how my running has been. I've been training for a race that I don't want to run. On the trails, during my hill repeats, and during my strides, my mind has been saying "go" but my spirit has been resisting. Now picture a kid going some where he wants to go, like the playground or a candy store. He is chomping at the bits, sprinting with his arms pumping and a big smile on his face. That's how my running has been this past week! Ahhh, just like the good old days. Running is fun!

So, what's ahead?

Up next will be my solo Pemi Loop on my birthday. I love the mountains! For the past 20 years or so, every birthday that I didn't have to work has been spent in the mountains alone or with friends. I'll post pictures and a report after my Pemi adventure.

Kevin and I will be spending a few days in Acadia. We'll be hiking, biking, camping, eating, and drinking. I can't wait.

My running buddy has sent her kids back to school and we would normally resume our Tuesday long runs together in the Conway area. But she has developed Plantar Faciitis and isn't running right now. I had that years ago, not fun. We will hike and bike on a weekly basis until she's running again. She claims she is getting fat, so I'd better help her get moving!

Fall is meant for long runs and fast hikes on the trails. I have some good ones in mind. You'll see.

Strength training! Now that it will be starting to cool down I can be more regimented with this. I sure don't want runners' toothpick arms! Also, it would be nice to see those six pack abs again, I'm not sure where they went but it could have something to do with Kevin's good cooking.

Cross country skiing will be starting in a few short months!

And last but not least...Mountain Biking! Lots of it. I can't think of any other activity I have ever enjoyed so much! (Thanks Kevin, I always thought it was just like road cycling, but a lot slower. I needed to find those narrow winding technical trails to see what it was really all about!)

Life is a lot of fun when you don't have a race hanging over your head!

1 comment: