Saturday, December 27, 2008

Evening Run with an Old Friend

I had a fun and food filled day at BJ's house with his family today. I got back home around 8PM and immediately changed into my reflective running gear to hit the icy roads. I had left Bart at home alone all day, coming home briefly to let him out mid day. He had a lonely and boring day. I could have run longer and faster without Bart (he's a pretty old dog) but when he saw me in my running clothes heading for the door this evening, he started running around in circles like a puppy. What could I do but put his leash on and bring him with me.

Bart just can't accept the fact that he isn't as spry as he used to be. When we head out for a run he is always pushing the pace, as if to say "come on, let's go! I've got a good ten miles in me today!" Then 2 or 3 miles down the road he has this little trick he uses to slow the pace down because he is getting tired. Normally he runs just to my right, but when he wants to slow down he casually steps directly in front of me while continuing along at our existing pace. Then he starts inching back on the pace little by little until we are barely faster than a walk. This is my cue to head back home.

We had a great time. The roads had some very icy stretches but I was careful and didn't have any falls. Temperatures in the 30's made for very comfortable running. I brought Bart home when he got tired. I planned to head out for a few more miles without him, but couldn't take the sight of his sad face in the window as I headed off. So I took him back outside and we sat on the front porch for a while.

Tomorrow is my long run day. I'm planning on 3 hours of running in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment