Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Kezar Mountain Run


We are having a light snowfall this Christmas Eve morning. It is supposed to turn to rain later, but right now it is beautiful out there. I ran out and back on Kezar Mountain Rd this morning. I run from the covered bridge end, so it is a little over 2 1/2 miles uphill to the end of the road and then a relaxing 2 1/2 miles back downhill. This is a semi-maintained dirt road with a few houses on each end and nothing but trees, old foundations and old cemeteries in between. The town of Parsonsfield usually gives up plowing the middle portion by mid winter, but right now it has been plowed and the running surface is a few inches of packed snow with about 1/2 inch of loose snow on top. Perfect running with Stabilicers. I didn't see a single vehicle or person, just a lone rabbit in his winter-white coat.

The Ossipee is starting to ice over on the slower moving sections. I wish I had brought my camera with me because the river and the bridge were very pretty with the falling snow. I felt wonderful and found myself smiling as I trotted along alone through the winter quiet. What a perfect way to start out the day. There is a certain place on the road where I like to stop and look around me and listen to the woods noises. There are special spots where I just feel happy, and this is one of them.

I have to work a 12 hour shift from 10AM to 10PM today, but I am off tomorrow and will get to spend Christmas Day with my parents, children (ages 20 and 21), and boyfriend. Anyone in the health care field knows what a treat it is to have the holiday off. I am really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment