Monday, February 22, 2010

Ossipee Fun Run

The day is almost half over. I have a list of things to do that is about a mile long and all I've done so far today is run. But if I didn't spend my time doing the things I love to do, life wouldn't be so good. So I have no guilt, just a long list of things to do.

I went back out to the Ossipee Trails again today and did several loops. This definitely qualifies as hill work. Then I went out to the road, crossed Rte 25 and ran an out and back on Rye Field Rd, just to see where it went. Coming back, I noticed a snowmobile trail off through a big field (maybe the Rye Field?) and followed it. It crossed in front of the big Beaver Bog and then behind the Sappi Log Yard (Wow, who knew they had so much going on back there out of sight in the woods?!) then the trail curved out and away from Rte 25. After about an hour had passed, I started looking for a way back to the car without re-tracing my steps. I found a trail leading off in the right direction so I took it. The sign warned "Stay on the trail, or stay home!" in a serious Sappi International sort of tone.

This trail still had several inches of un-packed snow as it is sheltered and shaded. Soon I could hear Rte 25 traffic. Instead of "staying on the trail" as warned, I bushwhacked a short distance toward the sound of traffic. I came out level with the tops of the telephone poles on the side of Rte 25. It was quite a steep downhill shoe-slide to get to the road, but a lot of fun. After that it was only a mile or so back to the car. I have to admit, I like the sound of my screw shoes click-click-clicking on the pavement. I had a nice time exploring new territory. I really have no idea how far I ran and I don't care. It was fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am running a trail 50k next weekend in MD. Wondering if you had an advice to offer about dealing with the potential snow/ice conditions and recommendations for traction options. Thanks. This will be my first ultra (I had 13 marathons. None on natural trails only "groomed" ones). Thanks I apprecate your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend at least carrying some sort of cleats or spikes. There are a lot of brands out there, my favorites are the Stabilicers, but whatever you can find that can be put on and removed easily as needed. Then carry them in a small pack around your waist.

    If you know the whole trail is going to be snow and/or ice covered, buy some square headed screws and use a drill to drive them into the soles of a pair of running shoes. Put them in the thickest part of the sole of your shoe. I do a horse shoe pattern in the front of the shoe and then put 4 more in a square in the rear of the shoe. These are amazingly comfortable, I don't even know the screws are there, but they give great traction! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete