Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I'm back on the bike! Pain is the measure I am using to gage how much and what sorts of activities I am ready for, and on the mountain bike there is absolutely no neck or head pain. This is thanks to my full suspension Rocky Mountain that cruises over bumps and rocks and roots like they aren't even there.

I went out for my first ride since my accident on Sunday with Kevin. I was scared, not of crashing or re-injuring myself, but that I would now be a timid and ineffective rider. At first, I got off the bike to get over every single little obstacle, but by the end of the ride I was much more comfortable. I rode again Monday and did fine. I am still avoiding things that tend to be difficult for me to ride anyway, a particular log that I have trouble getting over, a steep climb on loose gravel and rolling rocks, a steep downhill switchback, and that wooden ramp where I broke my vertebra. I'll be back at all those things soon, except the ramp which I believe I will be walking over from now on!

I am going to try running on soft dirt this morning. I'll ride the bike out to the Durgintown snowmobile trails and run a few short loops there. This afternoon I will be having a follow up X-ray to confirm that everything is in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment