Thursday, May 14, 2009

Virginia Bound

I'm off to Virginia this morning, by way of Conneticut to visit my sister, Amy. I'm looking forward to a fun trip and a good race. Showers are expected both days in Virginia this weekend, but the temperatures are supposed to be warm. Warm temperatures are a good thing for me as I don't run well when I'm cold.

My primary goal for this year's MMT is to run an hour faster than last year. Last year I was injured and putting in very low training mileage, so I should be able to go faster this year. If not, then I'd still be happy with a strong effort, a fun time, and a finish! I look at photos taken during my run last year, and I am smiling and enjoying myself right up through the last miles. If I can do that again this year, it will be a success. I love running up and down hills on rough trails, it's that flat fast stuff I'm not crazy about! So what's not to smile about at MMT? There aren't any flat fast sections!

9 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I wish I could learn to like hills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hills are our friends or at least that is what we tell ourselves........Good luck and have a great time Laurel!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Hills Do NOt Have Eyes" (horror film reference), so your hills will be kind, and still watching out for—welcoming— you. Run happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurel - You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Steve Wolfe. However, please don't hold that against me. :) I've enjoyed reading your blog the past few months and I just wanted to wish you good luck this weekend. Unless, of course, if it freaks you out that a complete stranger is cheering for you. In which case, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the good race vibes, I'll let you know how it goes! Michael, I'll take any cheering I can get-strangers are more than welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurel, have a great race! Your blog leading up to this race has been excellent. Now all you have to do is apply all that training to your race (no pressure).
    Michael freaks me out and I know him. When I used to run you could always find him close by..behind me but close by.
    Finally, you're somewhat famous. You were mentioned on a blog called IRunFar in a post discussing the Womens race at MMT100. Here is the link -> MMT100 Women's Race

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck! I think you're ready to rock and roll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're all set - find your groove and enjoy the day on those Virginia hills.

    Rock-on

    ReplyDelete