Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Black Flies and the Dump Man

The first black flies are out. I got one in each eye and one up my nose this morning. It will probably be another week or two before they are out in full force. I remember my first Spring in Maine as a student at UMaine in Orono. A group of us went out for a run in the woods. I was the only out-of-stater and I was eaten alive by the black flies. The flies didn't seem to bother the Maine natives. Maybe they had built up some sort of immunity from being bitten over and over again throughout their lives. I came back from that run covered with red welts which they all found very interesting and odd. The Black Flies don't effect me that way anymore so apparently people do build up some sort of resistance to their bites.

I ran 6 miles at an easy pace on wet trails this morning followed by hill sprints. My legs were tired from marathon pace running yesterday morning and an insane plyometric workout with BJ in the evening. The only real fan of my running that I have here in town is the Dump Man. He drove by as I was returning home on a short stretch of road. I had to pull it together and pick up the pace until he drove out of sight. It almost killed me, but I can't have him asking why I was dogging it next time I go to the dump. He can be a harsh critic at times.

1 comment:

  1. Laurel,

    What you are doing is very tough, doing distance training and at the same time strength training. Plyometric is the pinicle of the workouts for the legs. You will soon be looking forward to it. Keep up the good work, I can attest it will pay off.

    ReplyDelete