Tuesday, February 24, 2009

4 Hours on Slippery Roads


With so much new deep snow in the woods, I had to run on the roads for my long run today. The roads are still ice and snow covered and it was slow going. To tell the truth, I'd rather go slow on slippery snow covered roads than move along quick on bare pavement. The pavement usually makes every muscle in my body ache by the time I'm done with a long run, but the snow covering seems to give me more cushioning and I don't feel so beat up at the end of the run. And the tricky footing adds some challenge to make the run more interesting.

I ran through Porter, parsonsfield, Cornish, and South Hiram for a convoluted loop. I avoided all the main roads and had a very scenic and peaceful run. I brought my camelback because I felt dehydrated going into the run today from all the snow shoveling yesterday and then a late evening run last night. I worked on emptying the camelback by the end of the run. I also tried to eat more than I have been on my recent long runs to start getting used to it in preparation for Massanutten.

I ran for 3:57 minutes and wasn't surprised to find it was only 24 1/2 miles when I mapped it out on my computer pedometer when I got home. I told you it was slow going!


Sporting my new Granite State Snowshoe Series cap.

3 comments:

  1. Laurel, It was nice meeting you at Kingman Farm. I went through the races you did so far this year and you and I have been at all the same races including Beaver Brook 5k. But your next race has the number 100 in its name and there is no way I'm matching you this time. BTW super job at the GSSS!!

    Lastly, I noticed that you had mentioned something you called "tunnel vision" in your Kingman Farm report. Can you tell me what that is because I think I experienced it during the race and I was getting very nervous because I thought that I was passing out. Thxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott- I don't think I mentioned tunnel vision at Kingman Fam, but I have had this happen before and talked with other people who have had this. I'm told by a docotr/runner that it is from not getting enough oxygen to the brain, vision is one of the first areas of the brain to suffer when you can't take in enough oxygen. Yes, I imagine you could keep pushing to the point that you would collapse. I couldn't because I'm too whimpy and would slow down way before that happened.

    One other idea is that if you weren't used to running with a headlamp it could have just been visual disturbances from that.

    ReplyDelete