Friday, January 2, 2009

4 degrees this morning, Brrrr

Yesterday became my cross train day instead of today, as BJ had the day off from work and I had someone to work out with for a change. I used his stepper for 45 minutes. It was fun because it was a new workout for me. It takes coordination (which I don't have) so I'm sure it was amusing for BJ as well. Then I used his home gym instead of mine for my upper body weights and core work. Some people thrive on routine, I need variety. So working out on different equipment was fun.

After our workout, we made homemade bread and homemade pasta. I loved cranking out the dough with his pasta maker. It reminded me of playing with playdough when I was a kid! I have got to get myself one of those pasta makers. I wish I knew I wanted one before Christmas, I would have hinted around to my son to get me one. Anyway, dinner was delicious.

This morning was a frigid Kezar Mt. run on ice and packed snow wearing Stabilicers. 4 degrees is normally too cold for me to run. I have almost no body fat and my muscles tighten up and it is very difficult for me to run when it is below 10 or 15 degrees. It doesn't seem to matter how much I wear or how hard I work, I just don't get warm enough to feel loose and comfortable running. But I couldn't bear the thought of another treadmill workout this morning so I ran with stiff cramping muscles.

It was another beautiful run on one of my favorite dirt roads. Lots of birds out this morning, blue jays, chickadees, nuthatches, juncos, and titmice. I heard a cardinal, but didn't see it. The road was criss-crossed with deer tracks and rabbit tracks. There was only one set of tire tracks since the last snow fall. As always, I stopped at the cemetery at the top of the first major climb and took some deep breaths and looked at and listened to the woods. I couldn't stop long today, it was really cold! I feel so alive and invigorated after a run like that, I love starting my workday out like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment