Sunday, January 25, 2009

Limerick Snow Mobile Trails

I found myself in Limerick at the end of my work day today. I parked my car at the end of a dead end dirt road and hit the snowmobile trails for my scheduled 1 1/2 hour run. I was a little apprehensive about tonight's run because I had such a crappy run yesterday. Luckily, it turned out to be just a one day thing because tonight I felt great.

The trails were well packed and firm, excellent running conditions! I headed out in the last half hour of daylight. Since I didn't know the trails, I decided to run out for 45 minutes and then turn around and come back the same way. There were several intersections and I just picked my route randomly. I turned around and looked back now and then for landmarks. The landmark idea turned out to be useless because I ended up running back in the dark, but I found my way back without any problem. The run out was pretty and peaceful and the run back in the dark was beautiful. It was so quiet out in the woods. The only sound was my feet crunching on the snow. Just as I was beginning to worry that I had taken a wrong turn somewhere, I popped out of the woods and there my Jeep was.

I had tied my key to the drawstring of my pants so I wouldn't loose it on the trail. When I got back my hands were too cold to untie the knot. After struggling with it for a few minutes, I just stretched out the drawstring as far as I could and drove home with my pants tied to the key in the ignition. I had images of getting stopped by a cop and having to explain. Luckily, that didn't happen.

Tomorrow is my long run day. The hour and a half today was the start of inching my way up to back to back long runs for 100 mile training.

No comments:

Post a Comment