Thursday, January 15, 2009

Marathon Pace Run on the Treadmill

Northern New England is having a bitter cold snap. This evening temperatures were below zero by the time I was done with work and ready to run. A more rugged individual might have ventured out into the cold and dark, but I went with the treadmill again. I was scheduled for 3 miles at marathon pace. I ran 1 mile easy for a warm up and then 3 miles at 7:45 pace. My legs are much better today after stretching and using Icy Hot last night. 7:45 pace felt smooth and easy. I followed that with a half mile at full incline at about 9:30 pace and then a mile cool down.

Tomorrow will be an easy cross train day followed by a very cold 5K snowshoe race on Saturday. Last Saturday's snowshoe race was the first time in a very long time that I went beyond my aerobic threshold for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm sure this next snowshoe race will push me just as hard. I don't care too much about time or place in these races, it just feels good to get out there and work hard. I'm sure the training benefits are huge. Anything that hurts that bad must be good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment