Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tempo Repeats

Today's run was 13 miles with four repeats of 6 minutes at tempo. The tempo should have been in the middle, but was closer to the end of the run because I mis-judged the distance of this loop and had to run longer than I thought before I got to relatively flat paved roads. The first 7 or 8 miles were on dirt roads and hard packed trails with icy patches. I was enjoying myself and could have easily turned my run into a nice easy long one today. It was in the 40's with beautiful bright sunshine. I was in a meditative state of mind and the miles were just slipping by under my feet. But when I got onto the pavement of Colcord Pond Road in Porter, I remembered the tempo repeats, darn it.

The repeats really weren't bad at all. I'm getting to a point where I can judge my tempo pace and fall into it naturally without having to guess at what the right pace is. I took 3-4 minute jogs between each repeat. On the last one I was starting to feel some leg fatigue and I don't think I held the pace all the way to the end of the 6 minutes. But overall, it went pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment